ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
3 Financial provisions
4 Certain provisions of the Agreement to have the force of law question as to entitlement to privileges and immunities
5 Question as to entitlement to privileges and immunities
6 Power of Minister to make orders
7 Amendment of Schedule
THE CARIBBEAN METEOROLOGICAL ORGANISATION ACT
[Date of Commencement: 1st February, 1980]
<IN:LF:0,RT:1.64514,FI:0>Act 41 of 1979.
This Act may be cited as the Caribbean Meteorological Organisation Act.
<IN:LF:0,RT:1.64514,FI:0> (1) In this Act-
"Agreement" means the Agreement establishing the Caribbean Meteorological Organisation, the original of which is deposited with the Secretary-General of the Commonwealth Caribbean Regional Secretariat and of which the text of the Articles is set out in the Schedule;
"Organisation" means the Caribbean Meteorological Organisation established by the Agreement.
(2) The reference in Article 24 of the Agreement to the effect that the Organisation shall possess full juridical personality shall be construed as meaning the Organisation as a body corporate.
All sums required to be paid by the Government for the purpose of meeting the obligations of Jamaica under the Agreement are hereby charged to the Consolidated Fund.
Articles 24 and 33 of the Agreement shall have the force of law in Jamaica.
If in any proceedings any question arises whether or not, in accordance with the provision of Article 24(3) of the Agreement, the Organisation or any person ought to be afforded any privileges or immunities, a certificate issued by or under the authority of the Minister and stating that such person ought or ought not to be afforded such privileges or Immunities, as the case may be, shall be conclusive of the matters so stated.
The Minister may, by order, make such provisions as he may consider necessary or expedient for giving effect to any provision of the Agreement.
(1) Where any amendment to the Agreement is accepted by the Government, the Minister may, by order, amend the Schedule by including therein the amendment so accepted.
(2) Any order made under this section may contain such consequential, supplemental or ancillary provisions as appear to the Minister to be necessary or expedient for the purpose of giving due effect to the amendment accepted as aforesaid and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, may contain provisions amending references in this Act to specific provisions of the Agreement.
(3) Every order made under this section shall be subject to negative resolution of the House of Representatives.
(4) Where the Schedule is amended pursuant to this section, any reference in this Act or any other instrument to the Agreement shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be construed as a reference to the Agreement as so amended.
(Sections 2 and 7)
AN AGREEMENT FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CARIBBEAN
The Governments of the Contracting States
Recognising the need for the establishment of an efficient meteorological service in the Region;
Conscious of the fact that such a service can contribute to the economic development of the Region;
Mindful that the Common Services Conference convened in Trinidad and Tobago in July, 1962 decided that the proposed arrangement in respect of the future of meteorological services in the Region should be embodied in a formal agreement;
Noting that in pursuance of the foregoing a formal agreement was entered into by the parties and is now in force;
Desiring that regional co-operation in matters of meteorological and allied sciences should be continued and expanded:
<IN:LF:0,RT:1.64514,FI:0> Have Agreed as Follows:-
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CARIBBEAN METEOROLOGICAL ORGANISATION
The Caribbean Meteorological Organisation (hereinafter referred to as "the Organisation") is hereby established, with the membership powers and functions hereinafter stipulated.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.