ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
3 Financial provision
4 Certain provisions of Corporation Agreement given force of law in Jamaica
5 Questions as to entitlement to privileges and immunities
6 Power of Minister to make orders
7 Amendment of Schedule and matters thereon consequential
THE CARIBBEAN FOOD CORPORATION ACT
[Date of Commencement: 26th February, 1979]
<IN:LF:0,RT:1.64514,FI:0>Act 2 of 1979.
This Act may be cited as the Caribbean Food Corporation Act.
<IN:LF:0,RT:1.64514,FI:0> In this Act-
"the Corporation" means the Caribbean Food Corporation established under the Corporation Agreement;
"the Corporation Agreement" means the Agreement establishing the Caribbean Food Corporation, the original of which is deposited with the Secretary-General of the Commonwealth Caribbean Regional Secretariat and of which the text of the Articles is set out in the Schedule.
(1) The Minister is authorised to pay for the account of Jamaica the amounts payable from time to time to the Corporation under the Corporation Agreement:
Provided that the Bank of Jamaica may from time to time, subject to the terms of any agreement made by that Bank with the Government, pay from its own funds such of the amounts aforesaid as may be specified in such agreement.
(2) The Minister may borrow, from any person, any sum or sums required for payments under this section and, for the purpose of such borrowing, he may create and issue any securities bearing such rate of interest and subject to such conditions as to repayment, redemption or otherwise as he thinks fit.
(3) The principal and interest of any securities issued under subsection (2) and the expenses incurred in connection with their issue shall be charged on the Consolidated Fund.
(4) Subject to the terms of any agreement to the contrary made by the Bank of Jamaica with the Government pursuant to the proviso to subsection (1), any moneys received by the Government from the Corporation or raised by securities under subsection (2) shall be paid into the Consolidated Fund Account and shall form part of the Consolidated Fund and be available in any manner in which that Fund is available.
(5) The Bank of Jamaica shall act as a depository for the holdings of currency of Jamaica and other assets of the Corporation.
(6) In this section "the Minister" means the Minister responsible for finance.
Subject as hereinafter provided by this Act, the provisions of Articles 30 to 34 (inclusive) of the Corporation Agreement (which relate to the status, immunities, exemptions and privileges to be given effect in regard to the Corporation) shall have the force of law in Jamaica.
If in any proceedings any question arises whether or not the Corporation or any other person ought to be afforded the benefit of any privilege, immunity or exemption under the Agreement, a certificate issued by or under the authority of the Minister and stating that the Corporation or such other person ought or ought not to be afforded that benefit as aforesaid shall be conclusive of the matters so stated.
<TS:0.196528,NM,NO,0.39375,NM,NO,0.590278,NM,NO,0.7875,NM,NO,0.984028,NM,NO,1.18056,NM,NO,1.37778,NM,NO,1.575,NM,NO,1.77153,NM,NO,1.96875,NM,NO,6.375,NM,NO> The Minister allay, by order, make such provisions as he may consider necessary or expedient for giving effect to any provisions of the Corporation Agreement.
(1) Where any amendment to the Corporation Agreement is accepted by the Government, the Minister may, by order, amend the Schedule by including therein the amendment so accepted.
(2) Any order made under this section may contain such consequential, supplemental or ancillary provisions as appear to the Minister to be necessary or expedient for the purpose of giving due effect to the amendment accepted as aforesaid and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, may contain provisions amending references in this Act to specific provisions of the Corporation Agreement.
(3) Every order made under this section shall be subject to negative resolution of the House of Representatives.
(4) Where the Schedule is amended pursuant to this section, any reference in this Act or any other instrument to the Corporation Agreement shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be construed as a reference to the Corporation Agreement as so amended.
THE CARIBBEAN FOOD CORPORATION
The Contracting Parties, being Governments of the Member States of the Caribbean Common Market;
CONSCIOUS of the need to adopt a scheme for the rationalisation of agricultural production within the Region with a view to promoting complementarily in national agricultural programmes as contemplated in Article 49 of the Annex to the Treaty Establishing the Caribbean Community;
NOTING the alarming rate of increase in the importation of agricultural products into the Region caused to some extent by the inadequate methods and practices of farming on a large or small scale in the past;
MINDFUL of the need to increase agricultural production within the Region and to facilitate the transportation, distribution and marketing of the products thereof within and without the Region;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.